Thursday, April 14, 2016

Welcome to the World!

Somehow, I had planned on blogging about the arrival of Drake into the world shortly after his birth. Yet, here I am…just one day away from him being one month old. It’s amazing how quickly time flies when you’ve got two kiddos that are constantly keeping you busy literally all hours of the day. I seriously have no idea how this is going to work when it’s time for me to go back to work, but for now I have two-ish weeks of maternity leave left, and I’m going to soak up every minute.

It’s SO NICE being at home during my favorite season of the year. We’ve been planting and watering flowers, playing outside, and soaking up the sunshine. It’s so much nicer to be off during this time of the year versus summer because you can actually go outside and enjoy it without sweating to death or coating yourself {really the kiddos} in sunscreen.

That’s not the point though. The point of this whole blog post is to recap the birth of Drake. Let’s just say those first few days were NOT AT ALL like I imagined or planned them to be, but we have made up for it.

So, here it goes…

I chose to be induced, and I went in at midnight. We had to be there around 10:30 to get the paperwork and all started. There I was {amongst some rather scary individuals} in the ER, and in comes a girl who is quite pregnant and in A LOT of pain. Exactly why I chose to be induced! There I sat though…big, fat, pregnant, and just waiting for my name to be called.

Once we got paperwork taken care of, I was taken to my labor and delivery room…not the comfiest of beds since it breaks apart for the delivery part. I had a sweet nurse that got me all situated and hooked up to a million cords and started the process. Colby got situated on his make-shift bed and was out like a light in a matter of minutes it seemed. If only! I was up the entire night, which made for a good time to catch up on soap operas and Candy Crush.


The doctor came in around 6 a.m. to break my water, and those contractions were off to the races. While I can’t remember exactly, I think it was around 8:30 or 9 that they came in and told me I was ready for an epidural if I wanted it. Boy, did I want it!!! Bravo to you ladies who birth those babies without any pain meds! This chick is not one of them.

They gave me a shot of something in my IV to help the pain until the epidural was ready, and that really threw me for a loop. The nurses were ready for me to drink something out of a cup used for the epidural, and let’s just say I wasn’t sure which way the cup was. Everything was running together, but I sure felt better! Once the epidural was in, I couldn’t feel a thing! It was smooth sailing from that point on.

Right around lunch time, I was trying to convince all the family to go eat some lunch and to not be in a hurry. Just as they were about to head out the door though, the nurses came in to check me, and surprise, surprise…it was go time!

Before I knew it, Dr. Lee {the best doctor ever} was in the delivery room ready to catch a baby. Things went quickly, and Drake was here at 12:25 p.m. Nearly the exact same birth story as Landry but an hour quicker!



Tears filled my eyes as I got to see my baby boy for the first time! All the pains of carrying him for 9 months and labor were suddenly erased as I saw that sweet little face and heard that tiny cry…the most precious sound a mother could hear! I was in love immediately.


Shortly after, the family came in to meet our new little boy. Landry wasn’t too sure about what this baby brother thing was, but he hesitantly crawled up beside me to see him. Everyone got to meet him, and then left to {finally} go eat and give me some time to rest and recover….



…right before the scariest moment I think I’ve ever experienced in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment